Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What happened to made in the USA?

ABC news reports that 98% of clothing that Americans wear is made in China..  I remember when I was young, it was common for my mom to specifically look for clothing made in the USA, but primarily I remember her sewing my clothing.

My mom’s sewing machine was one of her most prized possessions.  She cared for it like an infant—oiling, cleaning and polishing it till I thought it would wear clean away.  But it didn’t, it only shone all the more brightly and sewed all the more smoothly.

I wish I had my mom’s sewing skills.  Don’t get me wrong, I can sew a straight seam (usually) and love to do it, but my mom could sew anything.  I remember her making bridesmaids dresses for more than one wedding that looked like they cost hundreds of dollars.  As far as I know she wasn’t paid for doing this, but I don’t think she would have let me know if she was.

I have been missing my mom lately, especially since I’ve been sewing more, but she’s gone now.  So many conversations I would like to go back and have with her now.  Sewing helps me feel closer to her somehow.  One of my granddaughters has an interest in fashion design, and I have tried to encourage her to take up sewing.  I think as artistic as she is, she would love to sew.  Too bad she is many states away or I would encourage her even more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment