Thursday, May 19, 2011

Home ownership and costly repairs

I really don't think we can afford to own our own home.  Our mortgage isn't all that much, compared to most, but the cost of repairs and upkeep on our old house is really getting to us financially.  Just today I found out that a gas leak is going to cost us over $1300 to repair, and the washing machine cost $150 for a new pump.  It seems like everything in the house is breaking down one thing right after another.  I don't know what to do.  I remember the days when I could do most home repairs on my own, with just the help of my wife.  Now I can barely make it from the living room to the bathroom some days.

I guess I should be thankful I'm mostly feeling better the past week.  Hopefully, this trend will continue, and things will start looking up.  If I was able to work and make money to pay for some of these things it wouldn't take such a toll on us, but my contribution to the household finances is a measly social security disability check.  Come on lotto, cut me a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment